St. John Bosco (front row 2nd left) with his first missionaries
Winning hearts and minds
One in heart and soul
Recommendations Given By St. John Bosco To His First Missionaries
1. Seek souls and not money, honor or dignities.
2. Be charitable and most courteous towards all, but avoid conversations and familiarity with persons of the other sex or with persons whose conduct is open to suspicion.
3. Do not go visiting, except for motives of charity or necessity.
4. Do not accept invitations to dinner, except for very grave reasons. In such cases arrange for a confrere to accompany you.
5. Take special care of the sick, of the young, of the old and of the poor; and you will win the blessing of God and the goodwill of men.
6. Show respect towards all persons in authority whether civil or religious.
7. On meeting a person in authority, take care to salute him with due respect.
8. Do the same towards ecclesiastics and persons belonging to religious institutes.
9. Shun idleness and disputes, and observe great moderation in eating, drinking and sleeping.
10. Love, reverence and respect other religious orders and always speak well of them. In this way you will be esteemed by all, and will promote the good of our congregation.
11. Take care of your health. Work well, but only do as much as your strength will allow.
12. Let the world know that you are poor in clothing, food and abode, and you will be rich in the sight of God, and will win the hearts of men.
13. Love one another, advise one another, correct one another, and do not be carried away be either envy or rancor. Let the good of one become the good of all, and let the troubles and sufferings of one be regarded as the troubles and sufferings of all, and let each one strive to banish or at least to mitigate the sorrows of others.
14. Observe your rules, and never forget the monthly Exercise for a Happy Death.
15. Every morning commend to God the occupations of the day, especially lessons, religious instructions and sermons.
16. Constantly promote devotion to Mary Help of Christians, and to the Blessed Sacrament.
17. Recommend to the boys frequent confessions and communion.
18. In order to cultivate ecclesiastical vocations, constantly inculcate: (a) love of chastity; (b) horror of the opposite vice; (c) avoidance of bad companions; and (d) frequent communion. Always be charitable, gentle and kindly towards the boys.
19. Hear both sides before making up your mind regarding reports and matters in dispute.
20. In time of fatigue and suffering do not forget that we have a great reward prepared for us in heaven. Amen