Apr 30, 2009
Apr 27, 2009
Apr 26, 2009
[The answer below is no. It is not torture either. See below for the surprise ending.]
Though abortion is objectively the most widespread and murderous social evil in America (and those who fight against it - whether at abortion clinics or in politics - are to be honored), this does not make all other issues somehow less important. Even John Paul the Great, a man on a crusade against death, proclaimed that “the one issue which most challenges our human and Christian consciences is the poverty of countless millions of men and women.” [so is it the one or just one of many?]
This is JPII saying this, not Vox Nova, not Nate Wildermuth, but the man, our man, John Paul. (Might I add that it’s a great name for a baby?) [Only for a son.]
It’s time we saw all these “issues” as one great problem: sin. [It is both then because they’re interwoven. ] Abortion and poverty and violence are all interwoven into one terrible system of sin. [Getting to the root – radical approach]
This sin can only be confronted through the Gospel of Jesus Christ, not through clever programs, not through vicious blogs [most likely not], not through dense books [alone], not through televised homilies [by themselves],
[ Recall when a professor once remarked about St. John Vianney, "This fellow is a complete ass. What can he possibly accomplish?" Father Vianney replied, "If Samson armed only with the jawbone of an ass, could kill one thousand Philistines, imagine what God can do with the complete ass!"]
but through a personal encounter with the King and the Kingdom.
[whose personal encounter - the pro-lifer, the pro-abortionist or both? Both, only Jesus can move the pro-abortion folks. For the pro-lifers to bring Jesus, they must first have Jesus – can’t give what you don’t have. Nemo dat quod non habet.]
But what does that really mean? [Good question. It means we’re involved in a spiritual combat as Arch. Chaput mentioned before. What does it not mean? It does not mean that we have to stop other efforts e.g. legislation, counseling, rescue and education to stop abortion.]
It means, perhaps, finding a holy hour instead of an internet hour. [perhaps both]
Apr 25, 2009
Apr 24, 2009
Apr 22, 2009
Apr 21, 2009
Apr 20, 2009
- Bishop John D’Arcy, Fort Wayne-South Bend
- Cardinal Francis George, Chicago
- Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, Galveston-Houston
- Archbishop Timothy Dolan, Milwaukee (--> NYC)
- Archbishop John Nienstedt, St. Paul-Minneapolis
- Archbishop Eusebius Beltran, Oklahoma City
- Bishop Edward Slattery, Tulsa
- Archbishop John Myers, Newark
- Archbishop Alfred Hughs, New Orleans
- Bishop Joseph Martino, Scranton
- and Auxiliary Bishop John Dougherty, Scranton
- Bishop Thomas Doran, Rockford, Ill.
- Bishop Thomas Olmsted, Phoenix
- Bishop Gregory Aymond, Austin
- Bishop Robert Lynch, St. Petersburg
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless, Sioux City
- Bishop Kevin Rhoades, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Bishop William E. Lori, Bridgeport, CT
- Bishop Robert Morlino, Madison WI
- Bishop George Murry, S.J., Youngstown, OH
- Bishop William Higi, Lafayette, IN
- Bishop Anthony Taylor of Little Rock, AR
- Archbishop Jose Gomez, San Antonio, TX
- and Auxiliary Bishop Oscar Cantu
- Bishiop Jerome Listecki, La Crosse, WI
- Archbishop Edwin O'Brien, Baltimore MD
- Bishop Alex Sample, Marquette MI
- Archbishop Daniel Buechlein, Indianapolis
- Bishop Robert Baker, Birmingham AL
- Bishop Samuel Aquila, Fargo ND
- Bishop Gerald Barbarito, Palm Beach FL
- Bishop Fabian Brukeswitz, Lincoln NE
- Bishop Richard Stika, Knoxville TN
- Bishop Robert Finn, Kansas City
- Bishop Joseph Latino, Jackson MS
- Bishop Leonard Blair, Toledo OH
- Bishop Gerald Gettelfinger, Evansville IN
- Bishop George Lucas, Springfield IL
- Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk, Cincinnati OH
- Bishop Thomas Wenski, Orlando FL
- Bishop Robert Vasa, Baker OR
- Bishop Paul Coakley, Salina KS
- Bishop John Le Voir, New Ulm MN
- Bishop Victor Galeone, St. Augustine FL
- Bishop David Zubik, Pittsburgh PA
- Bishop Paul Loverde, Arlington VAH/T to American Papist
Apr 15, 2009
Apr 11, 2009
Fr. Jenkins from Notre Dame University has invited a pro-abortion government official to give the commencement address and receive an honorary degree. That has caused quite a stir in the Catholic community that 30 bishops have publicly requested that he rescind the invitation. Despite that, Fr. Jenkins remains adamant.
And there lies the tragedy because it shows the disconnect between faith and life. A tree is known by its fruit. You don't get hemlock from an apple tree. Or agere sequitur esse - activity proceeds from essence or being.
There lies the root of the problem - an identity crises. Are they a university for Catholics or a Catholic university?
In the past, universities were only for Protestants; so, colleges were put up for Catholics. So, they could be a generic college with that history and are now almost Catholic in name only as written up in 'The Idea of a Catholic University' ( Land'o'Lakes Conference, 1967 )
The only Catholic trait there is from the statement " Distinctively, then, the Catholic university must be an institution, a community of learners or a community of scholars, in which Catholicism is perceptibly present and effectively operative."
Or the university can be the educational arm of the Church preparing leaders to permeate the world with the spirit of God as defined the apostolic constitution on Catholic Universities (Rome, 1990) by the late Pope John Paul II. http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_jp-ii_apc_15081990_ex-corde-ecclesiae_en.html
The essential characteristics quoted below leaves no doubt on the identity and vision of a Catholic university.
13. Since the objective of a Catholic University is to assure in an institutional manner a Christian presence in the university world confronting the great problems of society and culture(16), every Catholic University, as Catholic, must have the following essential characteristics:
"1. a Christian inspiration not only of individuals but of the university community as such;
2. a continuing reflection in the light of the Catholic faith upon the growing treasury of human knowledge, to which it seeks to contribute by its own research;
3. fidelity to the Christian message as it comes to us through the Church;
4. an institutional commitment to the service of the people of God and of the human family in their pilgrimage to the transcendent goal which gives meaning to life"(17).
There seems to be a little of both visions as shown by some of the students, teachers, staff and alumni who demonstrated last week against the invitation. So there’s hope in reforming it’s vision and mission in the long-term and doing some damage control this May.
We plan to join the students there as they stand for all these values as personified by Our Lady – Notre Dame.
Apr 7, 2009
His remains are enshrined in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain - the third holiest town in Roman Catholicism after Jerusalem and Rome....
The Church needs to review performance during the recent elections. Why Hillary won in New York, Massachussetts, California, New Jersey, Ma...
Bishops are obliged to excommunicate pro-abortion politicians for the future of the Church and of humanity.Pro-abortion Catholic politicians are not only responsible for tens of thousands of abortions in the USA because if Pelosi & Biden go up...
SOURCE http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/09/g20-ends-abruptly-as-obama-calls-putin-a-jackass.html#entry-more ST....
Go to the tab marked Piety for more details. Summary: Link to Mass Readings and Divine Office: click here or go to h ttp://www.universa...
Suicide is now LEGAL in Washington, D.C. - after a vote on the proposition this election. And I haven't heard word of condemnation from ...
Eucharistic Ministry - a country club of old, white, rich Liberal women in the Archdiocese of Washington, DCWhen my kids were babies, I went to Mass at a neighboring parish with a secluded "cry" room. I also put my school aged kids in the...
Bookmark this page : http://www.fightpp.org/ Excerpts: Life Decisions International (LDI) brings together many of North America'...
- ► 2016 (19)
- ► 2015 (11)
- ► October (11)
- ► July (15)
- ► June (26)
- ► May (9)
- ► April (24)
- ► March (20)
- ► December (26)
- ► November (28)
- ► October (16)
- ► September (21)
- ► August (46)
- ► July (35)
- ► June (52)
- ► May (70)
- ► April (55)
- ► March (34)
- ► February (65)
- ► January (81)
- ► December (104)
- ► November (127)
- ► October (55)
- ► September (123)
- ► August (86)
- ► July (33)
- ► June (51)
- ► May (58)
- ► April (33)
- ► March (61)
- ► February (35)
- ► December (43)
- ► November (46)
- ► October (45)
- ► September (58)
- ► July (25)
- ► June (40)
- ► May (55)
- ► April (72)
- ► March (43)
- ► February (43)
- ► January (67)
- ► December (78)
- ► November (53)
- ► October (83)
- ► September (65)
- ► August (40)
- ► July (52)
- ► June (57)
- ► May (79)
- ► April (71)
- ► March (32)
- ► February (23)
- ► January (39)
- ► December (58)
- ► November (27)
- ► October (46)
- ► September (46)
- ► August (36)
- ► June (10)
- ► May (17)
- ► Apr 22 (2)
- ► March (12)