Apr 26, 2010

Reference: Age Appropriate Character Formation


Every night, I give my kids a talk patterned after St. John Bosco's Goodnight Talk.  I take an incident during the day to derive a moral lesson.  The kids, 10,8,7 & 2, get really interested when I use their experiences as a springboard.  Although I was trained as an educator and youth minister, I have some gaps as my focus was on teens.  This was filled recently when I stumbled upon this resource that identifies the age appropriate moral formation.  It is available online at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=YUGFVjzGxEMC&dq=character+building+david+isaacs&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=xLLPS8SOBo7s8QS7-e3FDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Excerpt:


Up to 7 years old: 
  • Obedience
  • Sincerity
  • Order
From 8 to 12 years old: 
  • Fortitude
  • Perseverance
  • Industriousness
  • Patience
  • Responsibility
  • Justice
  • Generosity
 From 13 to 15 years old
  • Modesty
  • Moderation
  • Simplicity
  • Sociability
  • Friendship
  • Respect
  • Patriotism
From 16 to 18 years old
  • Prudence
  • Flexibility
  • Understaning
  • Loyalty
  • Audacity
  • Humility
  • Optimism
I'd bump up modesty sooner considering what they teach in public schools and what the kids already know from their peers.  However,  I'd hold off from broaching the Democrat's culture of dependence, corruption and death for now.  H/T http://blynken.blogspot.com/2010/04/virtues-drop-dead-and-other-age.html

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive