Feb 25, 2010

My Journey: Tax problems.

I was having tax problems with my 2008 return that has caused anxiety. This afternoon, I read Mt 7:7-12 that was about a child asking his father for food and not being denied. So, I paused and prayed feeling assured by that timely passage. I didn’t bargain because I said, “If I knew that there was something that God wanted from me, then I would give it – whether I needed something or not.” A few minutes after the prayer, an email arrived from the Tax Appeals Division saying that my case has been closed.

Here are the details.  Back in April, I filed my taxes electronically. A few months later, I got a letter charging me for the full amount of my tax liabilities plus interests and penalties. When I examined the statement, it showed that the payroll deductions were not factored in so, something must have gone wrong during the transmission. I resubmitted a printed copy of the returns with my W2s. A couple of months later, I got a collection letter with even more interest charges and penalties. So I sent in an appeal. After a few weeks I mustered the courage to follow up by phone only to be asked to call back after another week. After a week, I called back and explained the situation all over. My case has gone into two directions – one with the appeals board and the other with the amendment division. And I was talking with a third division whose number was in the correspondence. I was asked to call back in two weeks. That is the back drop of today’s event. And another thing though, last week a man flew his airplane into an I.R.S. building in Texas.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive